The Mansion’s Facilities
Stansvik Seaside Sauna
We offer our luxurious sauna and outdoor bathing tub (palju) for rental. The sauna building is rife with smoke and tar aromas and is best suited for groups of 6–10 people. If you rent the palju, the facilities are suitable for even more people. You will find a sizeable fridge in the sauna building to use for refreshments. We can also arrange food and drinks to be served in the sauna building. For more information, please contact email@example.com
The Stansvik Manor was built in 1804 and it is available to rent for events and parties. The facilities are perfect for around 40 people. Get the catering cleaning service handily from our restaurant. For more information and price estimates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Beach and the Docks
Our dock has room and buoys for 8 boats. The water depth is 3 meters (10 ft) at the top of the dock and 1,2 meters (4 ft) on the shore side.
Electricity is available for your stay. The charge for staying overnight is 15 euros and the electricity for the night is 5 euros. For more information about arriving with a boat and mooring, kindly call us at 050 4311 651.
The dock is suitable for larger vessels, which enables carrying large groups at a time. The voyage from Kauppatori is ca. 20 minutes.
The History of the Stansvik Manor
The first fields were plowed into the clay-ridden ground of Laajasalo in the beginning of the Middle Ages, even though the people who lived in the area (which was back then an island) were mostly fishers.
In the 1540s Laajasalo held six farms, but in the late parts of the 17th century the landholding became more centralized. For most of the 18th century Laajasalo had only three farms: the Holmgård säteri1 (which consisted of Degerö Manor, Villing and two farms from Santahamina), the Tullisaari puustelli2 and the Uppby farm.
The independent history of the Stansvik Manor begins in 1798, when it was separated from the Deregö säteri. The building of the manor is connected to a phase of Helsinki history, when multiple manors were built in the surroundings of Helsinki, mostly for the use of high-ranking military officers.
From the 18th century until the 1830s an iron mine was operational on the northern side of the manor property. The area was rich with limestone and lead and zinc ore that was rich with silver. Today, the mine area is protected, because of the various rare plants found in the area.
During the 19th century, the life in Laajasalo was marked with the summer recreation of the upper castes: in addition to the manors, dozens of villas were built next to the seashore. The Stansvik Manor came into life during the spring, with the owners returning to the city for the winter. Only most loyal servants habited the manor around the year. The Stansvik Manor had livestock and grew crops for the needs of the manor. The manor switched owners in rapid succession:
1802–1804 Fabian Casimir Rosvall, captain of Viapori (Suomenlinna)
1805–1817 Emanuel Thelning, portrait and miniature artist
1817–1855 Frederik Edelheim, member of the Senate and his son Paul Henrik, clerk for the Senate
1856–1938 Knut Felix von Willebrand, chancellor and doctor of medicine and surgery, and his offspring.
Most of the Stansvik buildings are from the early 19th century. The two-story main hall was finished in 1804 and it was likely designed by the owner at the time, F.C. Rosvall. The yellow building with a glass veranda (that bears the nickname Engels), Pitkähovi (servants’ quarters), the red house, the stable building and the neoclassical boathouse are from the same period as well. During the Willebrand ownership, a bowling room was built with a full-length alley, but the décor has gone missing. Today, the restaurant stands on top of the old cowshed base, as can been seen from the shore side.
During the early 19th century, a garden was built behind the mail hall. The garden had apple, plum, pear and cherry trees, as well as berry bushes. Today, 16 apple trees stand in the same place as the old garden. A large park area was built around the buildings, reaching up to the Talluden headland.
The park area continued to spread out to the next island with a bridge connecting the islands. Due to sea level lowering, the bay doesn’t exist anymore and the headland is connected to Vanhakylä area. Near this place you can find the Temple of Joy, which is a gazebo that was built on a high cliff during the Edelheim ownership.
During the Willebrand ownership the park area was extended and a stunning lane of oaks was planted from acorns brought from Fontainebleau castle park. Furthermore, a symmetrical pathway setting with round grass areas was built during this time.
In 1938, Helsinki City bought Stansvik. From 1945, the local labor union branch for city employees have been renting the manor, its lands and other buildings. (Formerly Helsingin kunnallisvirkamiehet ja toimihenkilöt ry, now Jyty Helsinki ry.)
The restaurant and the two cottage areas, Vanhakylä and Uusikylä, were built towards the end of the 20th century.
In 1946, Laajasalo became a part of Helsinki and the area started to develop in a fast pace. Located next to an oil harbor, the Stansvik area remains a sleeping idyllic near a rapidly expanding suburb.
1: When Finland was under the rule of Sweden, säteri was a manor exempt from taxes and providing the Swedish crown cavalrymen.
2: Puustelli is a farm given to a military, church or civil officer during the Swedish rule.